22 October 2008

On a discovery of love.

1.
Love
I waited for you to come.
You came in the sweaty night.
sweat wiped off by an
old hankie.
The moon changing shape
and color on its whimsy.
Until it finally settles
on African bright orange,
so juicy I could eat it.
Maybe tonight
I'll fly up and swim in its juice.
No cheesy moon for me,
and my dreams of love
will be original,
if I have anything to say
about it.

2.
Love
I waited again.
You came in the dew drop morning.
The sun muffled by clouds
sending its warmth in small post.
Coaxing the birds
out of hiding
for a morning show
to an audience of me.
I held my heart to the birds
on hands and knees,
bowing to their creative forms,
and they flew it up to the sun for me.
For I am Icarus this morning,
and my wings have melted.

3.
Love
Again, I waited.
You sent Gabriel to me.
The horrendous glory
of this sacred celestial
terrifying my pagan heart completely.
I am a heretic,
trying to build my own wings.
So sure and proud,
bound to fly away,
and escape my prison with the birds,
but I have failed
and I crouch in defeat
under the majesty of the Ethiopian trees.
Afraid that they will destroy me
in their superiority.
But Gabriel comes,
touches my heartless body,
for I have sold that at the last,
and where his hands
had been I discovered
new wings.

No comments: